Friday, February 6, 2015

Of Mermaids & Beach Bags

December and January are usually the months when we take our long, annual summer holidays here in the Southern Hemisphere.  And although we didn't make it to the beach this December, I just realized that I made two creations during the holidays that has everything to do with the ocean! 

On Christmas Day, the pace suddenly slowed down to a languid, loungy kinda vibe right after a frenetic four weeks.  In order to wind down, I had to do something creative and repetitive with my hands.  Enter Tarn (t-shirt yarn) and a 12mm crochet needle.  Excellent for a beginner like me - the chunky t-shirt yarn and thick needle made for quick progress and immediate gratification!  So making this simple weekend beach bag ended up being my special little Christmas holiday side project.




And then Mici the Mermaid appeared.  I was so inspired by the beach bag pattern and how much I enjoyed learning this new skill, that I couldn't resist making this sweet little amigurumi style mermaid for my daughter.  You can buy and download the patterns for Mici and her cute little band members and other friends on www.lalylala.com.

MICI works as a life guard on the shores of lalylaland, but even as a very little mermaid, she dreamed to open her own shoe store and to design her own collection of summer sandals. 

To pass the time MICI knits chic fishnet stockings for her friends. She loves the rockabilly fashion of the 50s! Her stylish old school anchor tattoo was made by her talented friend OLEG the octopus, using his self-produced homemade ink and a fishing hook. 

MICI is also the singer of a band with RADA the rat, BUZZ the housefly, OLEG the octopus and CARL the cactus, which has gained a reputation for putting their audience into a kind of hypnotic state.















No comments: